- This event has passed.
Veterans Small Business Resources Summit
November 6, 2020 @ 10:00 am - 12:00 pm CST
The Urban League of Louisiana is pleased to host its 2020 Veterans Small Business Resources Summit in celebration of veterans entrepreneurship, and as an extension of National Veterans Small Business Week (November 2-6). This year’s event will take place on Friday, November 6, 10:00am-12:00pm, and will be hosted online.
During this event, we will shine a light on veteran’s entrepreneurship across the state of Louisiana by sharing the many resources that are available to veterans and their spouses to start and grow their businesses. This year’s event is sponsored by AARP Louisiana, and hosted in association with the Small Business Administration, Louisiana District Office, the Veterans Business Outreach Center – Mississippi State University, and Louisiana Economic Development.
The Urban League of Louisiana is proud to announce Joey Strickland, Secretary of the Louisiana Department of Veterans Affairs, as our special guest speaker.
Joey Strickland was appointed Secretary of the Louisiana Department of Veterans Affairs by Governor John Bel Edwards on Jan. 13, 2016. In this position, he is responsible for overseeing five Veterans Homes, four State Veterans Cemeteries, the department’s Parish Service Offices, the Administrative, Contact Assistance, and Claims Divisions, the Military Family Assistance Fund, the Veterans Honor Medal Program, and a myriad of outreach initiatives for Veterans Service Organizations, our homeless, incarcerated, and women Veterans.
Other speakers include:
- Troy Broussard, Associate State Director-Advocacy & Outreach, AARP-Louisiana
- Mark Scott, Director, Veterans Business Outreach Center, Mississippi State University
- Jo Ann Lawrence, Deputy District Director, SBA Louisiana District Office – SBA Programs
- Stephanie Hartman, Director, Small Business Services, Louisiana Economic Development, Louisiana Veterans First Initiative
- Christina Dayries, Assistant Deputy Director, Grants and Administration, Governor’s Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness
- Colleen Broussard-Perry, Procurement Counselor, Louisiana Procurement Technical Assistance Center, University of Louisiana at Lafayette
There is no cost to attend this event, however registration is required. Veterans, their spouses, and the general public are welcomed to attend.