Education Equity for Louisiana!
Education Equity for Louisiana is a data-driven, results-focused, community engagement process that seeks to achieve equity by removing barriers to high academic achievement and by ensuring the creation of systems of opportunity by which ALL students have the necessary resources to reach their fullest potential.
CLOSING THE GAP
SIGN UP FOR UPDATES
POLICY IDEAS SURVEY
WHY IT MATTERS
Louisiana has a longstanding history of racial inequities in public education. Recent data show that disparities in academic achievement still exist at every stage of the education pipeline.
- In 3rd Grade Language Arts, African American students score lowest in Mastery and have the highest percentage of students scoring Unsatisfactory . . . nearly three times the failure rate of White students.
- In 8th Grade Mathematics, African American students score lowest in Mastery and considerably lower in Mastery than other major racial and ethnic groups. African American students have the highest percentage (4 out of 10) scoring Unsatisfactory . . . nearly three times the failure rate of White students.
- A disproportionately considerable number of African American students are subject to in-school and out-of-school suspension.
- African American students have the lowest ACT Composite Score.
- African American students have the lowest percentage of Cohorts Earning Advanced Credential in high school.
- African American students have the lowest Four-Year Graduation Rate and the lowest Retention Rate in Four-Year Higher Education.
- African American students have the lowest graduation rate and the lowest Retention Rate in Community and Technical Colleges.
Our response is Education Equity for Louisiana – a commitment to achieving equity by removing barriers to high academic achievement and by ensuring the creation of systems of opportunity by which ALL students have the necessary resources to reach their fullest potential.
CLOSING EDUCATION EQUITY GAPS
The goal of the Education Equity for Louisiana is to ensure that all children, regardless of race or economic status, are given an excellent education that prepares them for success beyond school. Our fourfold strategy includes:
Education Equity Reports
The Urban League of Louisiana will develop Education Equity Reports of selected school districts that present and analyze data on key metrics of equity and make policy recommendations to close equity gaps.
The Urban League of Louisiana will partner with selected school districts and key stakeholders in communities to build and foster relationships and develop shared goals toward closing equity gaps.
At the stakeholder convenings, district-level data on key metrics of educational equity will be presented and stakeholders will be engaged in conversations around causes, barriers, and policy solutions. We will seek commitments from district leaders to develop scorecards of equity indicators to track and report outcomes and to work toward the continuous improvement of outcomes.
The Urban League of Louisiana will communicate the meaning of education equity, data that shines a bright light on inequity through a broad mix of messaging tools and mediums, and elicit input from stakeholders on what is needed to close equity gaps.
Listen and Learn Tour
The Urban League of Louisiana’s statewide Listening and Learning Tour will gather input from citizens before formulating policy priorities.
EDUCATION EQUITY REPORTS
Read more about Education Equity here.
WANT TO LEARN MORE?
Please contact John Warner Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org. Stay tuned for more details.