Over the last year, the WBRC hosted its Start-Up Series that introduced clients to the fundamentals of starting a small business. The center is also known for its Women in Business Challenge, a business accelerator program and seed capital competition for early stage businesses owned by female entrepreneurs. The center just held its fifth competition in March and awarded $10,000.
Additional notable achievements of the WBRC for the year 2016 include:
- More than 670 business owners, contractors and individuals attending training events.
- WBRC staff assisted over 600 clients
- WBRC staff helped clients start 32 new businesses
- WBRC helped clients create 184 news jobs.
- WBRC helped businesses in decline save 105 jobs through direct assistance.
The Women in Business Champion is selected annually to honor individuals and organizations who have fulfilled a commitment to the advancement of women’s business ownership. National Small Business Week is currently underway through May 6 with the theme “Dream Big, Start Small”.
“National Small Business Week is a great opportunity to honor small business owners and employees whose spirit of entrepreneurship, innovation and determination help our economy prosper,” said Michael Ricks, SBA Louisiana District Director.
The SBA’s Louisiana district covers 64 parishes in the state. It is estimated that well over 400,000 small businesses are located throughout the state of Louisiana.