Automobile Technician Apprenticeship Program
Urban League of Louisiana’s Office of Workforce Development is partnering with National Automotive Dealers Association (NADA) and the Louisiana Automobile Dealers Association (LADA) to place aspiring technicians into apprenticeship roles in local Louisiana dealerships. This 18-month pilot pre-apprenticeship and apprenticeship program is the first step in what we hope will one day be a national program to recruit, train and place trained technicians in dealerships across the country.
After completing Urban League’s four-week professional development training, aspiring technicians begin technical instruction at Delgado Community College or Baton Rouge Community College. During technical instruction, apprentices are paired with a participating dealership for job shadowing and on-the-job training.
Apprentices will earn a progressively increasing wage throughout their entire training experience. Upon successful program completion, the apprentice will have earned a Level 1 Automotive Service Technician credential and hold the title of Journeyworker.
Program Details, Benefits & Requirements
- Started on February 20, 2023. Enrollment is now closed, stay tuned for future opportunities.
- 18-month program
- 4 weeks (1 month) of Professional Development with weekly stipends
- 8 weeks (2 months) of technical instruction and job shadowing with weekly stipends
- 60 weeks (15 Months) of paid on-the-job learning.
Details and Benefits
- Paid Training – Earn while you learn
- Job Readiness
- Industry Recognized Credential
- On-the-job Learning
- At least 18 years of age
- Unemployed or Underemployed
- Have a H.S. Credential or score a 10th Grade Level or above in Reading and Math on the Test of Adult Basic Education (TABE) assessment
- Willing and able to commit to an 18-month-long training and employment program
- Must pass a drug screening
- Must not have been convicted of any sexual offense except for prostitution.
- Birth Certificate
- Social Security Card
- Proof of residence
- Proof of income (if employed)
- Valid Louisiana identification card
Thanks to the $1.2 million appropriation secured by Congressman Troy Carter in 2022, Urban League of Louisiana is able to expand all Urban League of Louisiana apprenticeship program offerings.
These programs directly align with our SEE CHANGE Action Plan income and wage growth plans.