The Urban League of Louisiana has activated its Wake Up Geaux Vote campaign and is hosting four 2020 Voter Empowerment Forums on statewide local races and racial equity in education in New Orleans.
The Urban League of Louisiana recently released the second edition of Advancing Educational Equity In New Orleans Public Schools which tracks inequities and illustrates the urgent need for racial equity in schools. While many stakeholders have a part to play, the Orleans Parish School Board is critical to advancing racial equity within our education system.
The forums October 6 – October 8 from 5-7pm will allow citizens to hear directly from candidates about their position on racial equity and their plans for addressing specific inequities documented in the Urban League’s report, if elected to serve.
Tuesday, October 6th – Districts 1 & 2
Moderator: Will Sutton, Staff Columnist, The New Orleans Advocate
- John A. Brown Sr., District 1
- Patrice Sentino, District 1
- Asya M Howelette, District 2
- Aldine “Doc” Lockett, District 2
- Chanel M. Payne, District 2
Wednesday, October 7th – Districts 3, 4, 5
Moderator: LeBron Joseph, Anchor/Reporter, WGNO TV/WNOL-TV NOLA38
- Philip C. “Phil” Brickman, District 3
- Olin Parker, District 3
- Jancarlo “J.C.” Romero, District 4
- Winston “Boom” Whitten Jr, District 4
- Katherine Baudouin, District 5
- Grisela Jackson, District 5
- Antoinette Williams, District 5
Thursday, October 8th – Districts 6 & 7
Moderator: Oliver Thomas, Radio Talk Show Host, WBOK
- David Alvarez, District 6
- Erica Martinez, District 6
- Carlos L. Zervigon, District 6
- Jamar Wilson, District 7
- Nolan Marshall Jr., District 7
On October 15, from 5-7pm, ULLA will host a lively conversation featuring experts from across the state who will be discussing key races statewide, the seven statewide amendments, and will look at the responsibilities of different elected positions.
To register for these forums, visit our Wake Up Geaux Vote page.